Relational leadership creates commitment within its followers through participation in accomplishing all the tasks and the processes of solving problems.
In relational leadership theory, the leader and followers work as a team. Keep in mind that to some people, it is a motivation to belong in a team in terms of accomplishing all the things to be done. In result, motivated individuals will create a team that is so powerful and effective in solving problems and accomplishing all the tasks at hand no matter how challenging it is.
The leader and the motivated individuals around him promote effectiveness in their team because the leader relates to its team members, and at the same time with other teams on the outside world. One of the qualities of a leader who follows relational leadership is working hand in hand with his team and with the rest of the organization in order to accomplish the company’s goals. They follow the culture and structure of the organization. The team adopts the existing goals, values and processes of the organization.
Here are some of the qualities of a leader of a relational leadership, as they apply the the culture and structure of a team:
- They are usually personable. They entertain any opposing ideas within his team and other teams. These leaders participate in consultation sessions.
- They can also work well in dealing with non-technical and technical problems under his turf in case issues are not clear. This means they are knowledgeable in the industry he is into.
- They empower the people who are involved in the tasks.
- They have the sense of commitment and drive in achieving the goals.
- They are willing to meet in a common ground in order to accomplish the expected output. They initiate the establishment of common purpose for everyone.
- Relational leaders are ethical driven which means they work according to what is right, according to standards and values.
- They believe that leadership is moral in nature and good.
- The leader and its group remain to be a group in accomplishing the purposes of the group.
The above qualities of a leader can be summarized into five important key words:empowering, inclusiveness, ethical, purposeful and process-oriented. Relational leadership is a model that focuses on the concept that leadership becomes effective because of the leader’s capacity to make positive relationships within its team and the rest of the organization. Relational leadership depends mainly on the context. However, the context is recognized by the relationships the team values.
Parent page: Relational Leadership